Let me summarize (because I forgot the detail)...

An HTTP request has Host header.
It is usually used for NameVirtualHost.

Current net/http uses req['Host'] as Host header if explicitly set.
If not set, the hostname used for TCP connection is set to req['Host'] and used.

This topic is about initializing HTTPRequest with URI.
The problem now discussing is the relation between the URI and Host header (req['Host']).

5.1.2 of RFC 2616 says

>  The most common form of Request-URI is that used to identify a
>  resource on an origin server or gateway. In this case the absolute
>  path of the URI MUST be transmitted (see section 3.2.1, abs_path) as
>  the Request-URI, and the network location of the URI (authority) MUST
>  be transmitted in a Host header field. For example, a client wishing
>  to retrieve the resource above directly from the origin server would
>  create a TCP connection to port 80 of the host "www.w3.org" and send
>  the lines:
>
>      GET /pub/WWW/TheProject.html HTTP/1.1
>      Host: www.w3.org

Note that the "above" means http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TheProject.html

So a URI for initialization overwrites requesting Host header.
Feature #6482: Add URI requested to Net::HTTP request and response objects