Two things. OO methods (in contrast to global methods from Kernel) are
generally the way Ruby does things, right?  Second, to reduce confusion and
keep compatibility set_trace_func() should be retired.

That said, these are small points in the larger issue of having something
that makes writing debuggers, profilers and tracers easier and provide more
usefulness.  So it is those aspects, personally, I care more about than
this.