Issue #6868 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

drbrain (Eric Hodel) wrote:
> =begin
> What would this code do:
>
>   def method n
>     n = n.times
>     p n
>   end
>
> Currently it prints (({#<Enumerator: 3:times>})) and returns an Enumerator.  Would it instead raise SyntaxError for an unexpected end?
>
> =end

You mean, what should `method(3)` output?  This was not considered in my proposal, i think it should be the same.  In fact, i understand that there are issues with making `def` a method, i was only proposing to make blocks look more like class and method definitions in certain circumstances.  I do not remember if there are Ruby core methods that require a block, all that come to my mind have an optional block parameter.  So here is a made-up example of the use of the proposed syntax:

 def do_three_times(&block)
   3.times(&block)
 end

 do_three_times
   puts "Hi"
 end

The interpreter would need to look up the method definition for `do_three_times` before parsing the parameters (i think this is different from the current behavior), see that there is a required block parameter at the end, and so to expect either `do` or just new line to start the block after `do_three_times`.

Feature #6868: Make `do` in block syntax optional when the block is the last argument of a method and is not an optional argument