Hi,
mame (Yusuke Endoh) wrote:
> I suggested giving Benoit a commit bit at the developer meeting (7/21),
> and matz agreed.
> [...]
> Then, please commit your patch yourself.
>
> I'd like to thank you for your continuing contribution!

I just committed as r36699 and I committed your PP patch as r36700.

Thank you for proposing it!
Feature #6130: inspect using to_s is pain

Author: trans (Thomas Sawyer)
Assignee: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0

Every time I define #to_s on a class I have to remember to also redefine #inspect. It's annoying and has led me to waste hours debugging b/c the errors that can occur from it often seem strange and unrelated.

I think #inspect should have an independent definition that outputs the class name, object_id and when possible instance variable settings, and should have nothing to do with #to_s by default. We developers can always alias it as such if it is appropriate.

The only exception should be for classes that have literal representation in Ruby, such as Array, String, Hash, etc. In those cases the #inspect should give the literal representation.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/