Issue #5670 has been updated by dgutov (Dmitry Gutov).

The above bug has some updates: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6286

Bug #5670: Emacs ruby-mode syntax highlighting issue

Author: Quintus (Marvin G├╝lker)
Assignee: nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada)
Category: misc
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [x86_64-linux]

Hi there,

I'm using Emacs and ruby-mode for editing my Ruby files. ruby-mode, however, doesn't know about the % literals. The following code doesn't get the syntax highlighting I'd expect from it:

# Should be highlighted as a regular expression, breaks indentation:
regex  = %r<I am a Regular Expression>

# Should be highlighted as a symbol:
symbol = %s|This is a symbol|

# Should be highlighted as a string:
str    = %q{This is a string}

# Should be highlighted as a string:
str    = %{This is a string}

# Should be highlighted somehow, but isn't:
ary    = %w[item1 item2 item3]

# Should be highlighted as a symbol (not string), sometimes
# breaks indentation
symbol = :"this is a symbol"

I've been told ruby-mode has been written by Matz and therefore I should file a bug here (see http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/390526 ). If that's wrong, please tell me where else to report this.

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 23.3.1
GNU Emacs comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
You may redistribute copies of Emacs
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING.

Valete,
Marvin

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/