Ruby Facets has Hash#slice as well.

  http://rdoc.info:8080/github/rubyworks/facets/master/Hash#slice-instance_method

Feature #6847: Hash#extract

Author: citizen428 (Michael Kohl)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version:

I often need a method to extract "subhashes" from hashes. I often monkey-patched this into hash and found "extract" to be a good name for the method. Afterwards I found out that there actually is a mutating method called "extract!" in ActiveSupport, so I guess the name is kinda established. Here's the Ruby version from my private extension library, if there's any interest in this I would try to re-implement it in C:

class Hash
  def extract(*ks)
    existing = keys & ks
    Hash[existing.zip(values_at(*existing))]

http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/