Feature #6842: Add Optional Arguments to String#strip

Author: wardrop (Tom Wardrop)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0

=begin
One of the very few things I miss from the ol' php days many years ago, was the ability to easily strip arbitrary characters from the ends of string using trim(). Typically, this is whitespace characters, and #strip currently fulfils that use case, but there are also instances where it'd be nice to be able to strip any range of characters from the ends of a string. It goes well with Array#join as often when joining strings with a delimiter, you want to make sure those strings don't already begin or end with that character.

For a full-featured #strip, I'd like to see it have the option of accepting both an Array or String. If a string is provided, each character in that string will be stripped. If an array of strings is given, each element of the array is stripped from the ends of the string - this allows for multi-character delimiters for example. Of course you could go really nuts and supports regex as well (or instead of arrays). To demonstrate the difference...

A simple real-world example; this is actually what I was wanting to do right before I came here to raise this feature request, but there's been all kinds of other use cases I've hit in the past:

    ['some', '/chunked', 'path/'].map{ |v| v.strip('/') }.join('/') #=> "some/chunked/path"

File#join does something similar, but when you need control over the joining character, this is the way you'd do it.

I've lost count of how many times I've wanted this in Ruby, and there's really no nice workaround. Here's an example on StackOverflow of someone asking how to achieve this stripping behaviour in ruby: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3453262/how-to-strip-leading-and-trailing-quote-from-string-in-ruby

Obviously, you'd do the same for #lstrip and #rstrip, and all the mutable variants (#strip!, #lstrip!, #rstrip!). Looking forward to others thoughts on this one.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/