Bug #6818: Incorrect Date.parse results

Author: babak (Babak B)
Assignee: tadf (tadayoshi funaba)
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20 revision 35410) [x86_64-darwin10.8.0]

Since this is a standard library and I couldn't find a dedicated page for the Date module

require 'time

> Date.parse '07/31/2012'
ArgumentError: invalid date
from (pry):3:in `parse'

In the United States, MM/DD/YYYY is perhaps the most common way to write dates. I found somewhere in prior posts suggestions to convert to Euro style which may alson include DD/MM/YYYY but that is not correct for US. There should at least be a way to choose the region, it can not always be deduced from syntax of date alone.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/