Issue #6817 has been reported by citizen428 (Michael Kohl).

Feature #6817: Partial application
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6817

Author: citizen428 (Michael Kohl)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0

I know that what I propose here is a significant change to Ruby, but it's part of my ongoing quest to get some more functional programming features into Ruby (see also #4539 and #6373).

I was wondering if  it would make sense to maybe introduce partial application to Ruby?  So that instead of

<pre><code class="ruby">
(1..3).map { |i| i + 2 }
</code></pre>

or the somewhat unwieldy

<pre><code class="ruby">
(1..3).map(&2.method(:+))
</code></pre>

 one could just write

<pre><code class="ruby">
(1..3).map(&2.+)
</code></pre>

which I think has a quite rubyish feel to it. I have a POC implementation in Ruby (I tried it with various Fixnum methods) over at my blog (http://citizen428.net/blog/2012/07/30/ruby-left-section-for-infix-operators), but that was just a quick hack and obviously I don't want to monkey-patch every method with arity 1, but it was a  nice way of exploring possible syntax.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/