Issue #6482 has been updated by drbrain (Eric Hodel).

File net.http.request_response_uri.3.patch added

=begin
naruse (Yui NARUSE) wrote:
> drbrain (Eric Hodel) wrote:
> > This does not seem to match the current behavior of req['Host'] as it must be manually cleared in order to reuse the request with a different host.
>
> Try following:
>   [???]
>
> The host part of a URI for initialize seems to be the same thing of req['Host'].

I think I don't understand.  My patch uses the host part of URI for initialize to set req['Host']. Also, if you set req['Host'] the URI is updated correctly. Which server you connect to doesn't seem to matter.

I don't see the request Host header matching the connection host address with current net/http:

  $ svnversion
  36482
  $ cat test.rb
  require 'net/http'
  req = Net::HTTP::Get.new '/'
  puts "req Host: #{req['Host']}"
  res = Net::HTTP.start 'redmine.ruby-lang.org' do |http|
    puts "con Host: #{http.address}"
    http.request req
  end
  puts "req Host: #{req['Host']}"
  res = Net::HTTP.start 'bugs.ruby-lang.org' do |http|
    puts "con Host: #{http.address}"
    http.request req
  end
  puts "req Host: #{req['Host']}"

  $ make runruby
  ./miniruby -I./lib -I. -I.ext/common  ./tool/runruby.rb --extout=.ext  -- --disable-gems ./test.rb
  req Host:
  con Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org
  req Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org
  con Host: bugs.ruby-lang.org
  req Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org

My latest patch has identical behavior:

  $ patch -p0 < net.http.request_response_uri.3.patch
  [???]
  $ make runruby
  ./miniruby -I./lib -I. -I.ext/common  ./tool/runruby.rb --extout=.ext  -- --disable-gems ./test.rb
  req Host:
  con Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org
  req Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org
  con Host: bugs.ruby-lang.org
  req Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org

Identical test using URI instead of string path:

  $ cat test.rb
  require 'net/http'
  u = URI("http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/")
  req = Net::HTTP::Get.new u
  puts "req Host: #{req['Host']}"
  puts "req URI:  #{req.uri}"

  req URI:  http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/
  con Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org
  req Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org
  req URI:  http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/
  con Host: bugs.ruby-lang.org
  req Host: redmine.ruby-lang.org
  req URI:  http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/

=end

Feature #6482: Add URI requested to Net::HTTP request and response objects