Issue #6735 has been updated by luislavena (Luis Lavena).

Status changed from Open to Assigned

ThomasDickey (Thomas dickey) wrote:
> Actually, ncurses is "available" for Windows in the sense that it builds and
> works there, using MinGW.
>    http://invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html#other_versions

Thank you for pointing that out.

Interesting that nothing about MinGW is mentioned in the official GNU ncurses page:

http://www.gnu.org/software/ncurses/

But is included in README.MinGW, which states a lot of TODO like Unicode, thread locking and other aspects.

Even by following the instructions and using the right tools, couldn't get a usable ncurses installation to work with, I believe still have some work to be done.

PDCurses has worked for us (RubyInstaller) and now that I'm working on x64 version of Ruby for Windows. The need to keep pdcurses *as is* is what pushes me to generate this request.

> But there are no downloads of binaries (unlike end-user programs such as
> lynx and vile, developers generally are able to build their own libraries).

While that statement might be good answer for some (build your own) is error prone and time consuming, if wasn't for binary packages installing a Linux distribution today would be tiresome.

In the case of Windows, binaries are for libraries and end user programs are highly valuable due the complexities of compiler toolchain and building those packages.

Feature #6735: curses: support linking against pdcurses