Bug #6291: Backtrace printout halts for an extremely long time when large amounts of data are allocated

Author: cuthbert (Christoffer Lervag)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: 1.9.3
ruby -v: 1.9.3

=begin
When large amounts of data are allocated, it can take an eternity for the backtrace printout to complete. Here's a simple example:

    class SomeClass
      def initialize
        @a = Array.new(100000, "just some random string")
    h = Hash.new
    200.times {|i| h[i] = SomeClass.new}
    h.asdf

This will halt with the following printout:
    test.rb:9

And then, after a very long time (depending on how much data is in memory), it will eventually finish:
    test.rb:9: undefined method `asdf' for #<Hash:0x1001bc348> (NoMethodError)

For me, this has caused a lot of frustration when running a test suite on an application which loads a lot of data in memory, as in many cases I will never get to see the actual backtrace. This makes debugging much more difficult. Perhaps there is some fundamental property of the Ruby language itself that makes this an 'expected behaviour', but if not, I would really appreciate to see this adressed.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/