Issue #6727 has been updated by duckinator (Nick Markwell).

>    rest = arr.drop(1)
>    _, *rest = arr

Those two methods you mentioned "work," but the first isn't very clear on its intent, and the second cannot be used as a statement (which is where I have personally seen [1..-1] used the most).

> See also http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/HowToRequestFeatures

1. Insure it's a meaningful improvement
  * Yes, this improvement is discussed in multiple Google search results and has received positive feedback when I mentioned it elsewhere.
  * There are already ways to achieve similar results, but they don't convey their purpose well.
  * I have seen, and used arr[1..-1] countless times. Also see above statement regarding positive feedback.
2. Think about it
  * What's a good name? Array#rest
  * What exact arguments does it accept? None.
  * What does it return? A new Array.
  * Any risk of incompatibility? No.
3. Write it up
  * The title was apparently good, as it was not ignored.
  * The current situation is improved because Array#rest is clear about your intent,
  * I made a concise but complete proposal.
  * I did not address the objection of .drop(1), because I had forgotten about it. I do hope `_, *rest = arr` was purely for demonstrative purposes.

4. Feature request already opened, with patch.

Is there any reason for this being rejected besides the existence of (({arr.drop(1)})) and your other method which (in my opinion) should not be necessary unless you're doing (({first, *rest = arr}))?

Feature #6727: Add Array#rest (with implementation)