Issue #3346 has been updated by rogerdpack (Roger Pack).

I'm for __dir__ or __DIR__ since I use File.dirname(__FILE__) a lot.  Barely prefer __DIR__ since __FILE__ already exists so it keeps parity with it.
Feature #3346: __DIR__ revisted

Author: trans (Thomas Sawyer)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category:
Target version:

=begin
 I'd like to know why __DIR__ was rejected? I use File.dirname(__FILE__) all the time, and I frequently see others do so as well. #relative_require is helpful but it covers only one specific use case --and probably not the most common one. I am often using File.dirname(__FILE__) in build scripts, when I am loading examples for tests, and when I load output templates or other pluggable modules that reside relative to my code. For something so common, having to clutter my code with a 22 character sequence, when an perfectly obvious 7 character sequence would do semms very uncharacteristic of Ruby, which is usually quite concise. Indeed, it is not uncommon to see code that defines a constant such as DIR = File.dirname(__FILE__) when it will be used more than once because it quickly becomes an eye-sore. For these reasons I hope you will reconsider the earlier rejection.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/