Feature #6712: Introduce super! for calling old definition when reopening classes

Author: rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category:
Target version: 2.0.0

ActiveSupport adds support for alias_method_chain which is a hack for being able to call the original method being overriden when reopening a class:

Extracted from documentation:

http://apidock.com/rails/ActiveSupport/CoreExtensions/Module/alias_method_chain

"Encapsulates the common pattern of:

  alias_method :foo_without_feature, :foo
  alias_method :foo, :foo_with_feature"

I'd prefer to have an official non-hacking way of achieving the same with just Ruby. Something simpler like:

class A
  def a
    2

class A
  def a
    super! * 3

A.new.a == 6

This way we wouldn't need to polute A with a_with_feature and a_without_feature methods if we're not interested on them.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/