Issue #6680 has been updated by drbrain (Eric Hodel).

I incorporated the ideas of your two patches which seem to help clarify things.  Let me know if this latest patch needs further adjustment.
Bug #6680: Unclear rdoc for Array and String slicing

Author: stomar (Marcus Stollsteimer)
Assignee: drbrain (Eric Hodel)
Category: DOC
Target version: 2.0.0
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p243 (2012-06-28 revision 36244) [i686-linux]

=begin
Slicing of arrays and strings specifying start/length or using a range is not documented well, and often leads to confusion, see for example

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3568222/array-slicing-in-ruby-looking-for-explanation-for-illogical-behaviour-taken-fr>

or

<http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/1393096#990065>

The attached patch tries to clarify the documentation.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/