Issue #6702 has been reported by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

Bug #6702: Date should be either required or not
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6702

Author: rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas)
Assignee:
Category: lib
Target version: 1.9.3
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p194 (2012-04-20 revision 35410) [x86_64-linux]

Today I was trying to do some experiment with IRB: "Date.today" threw a NoMethodError.

But Date was defined: "defined? Date" == "constant".

If I explicitly required for "date" it worked, but this is pretty much weird. It would be better if either:

 - I got an undefined "Date" class instead
 - "date" was automatically required

The current state is pretty much misleading.

This also happens in JRuby, so I guess somehow this is an intended behavior, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/