FYI, I just want to make clear that the `=>` notation I use is not vital to this proposal. It's just the first idea that occurred to me for a concise way to designate a HOM method. Another way, for example, could be `hom` keyword in place of `def`.

Feature #6594: Integrated Functor

Author: trans (Thomas Sawyer)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0

=begin
I know the developers meeting is coming up so I'd like to get a few ideas I've had sitting in the wings out in the air before then.

One the more useful is the idea of integrating Functors directly into the language. "Functor" is the term I use for "higher-order function".

I blogged about this idea and you can read it here: http://trans.github.com/2011-09-07-ruby-heart-higher-order-functions/

The super short version is this:

  def f => op, arg
    arg.send(__op__, arg)
  end

  f + 3  #=> 6
  f * 3  #=> 9

Another example:

  class String
    def file => op, *args
      File.send(__op__, self, *args)

  "README.rdoc".file.mtime  #=> 2012-06-14 12:34:45 -0400

I'm using `=>` as means of indicating a higher-order function. Of course another syntax could be used if this won't fly. The important thing is the idea of higher-order functions being integrated directly into the language. Doing this without that integration requires the creation of an intermediate object for each call which is very inefficient.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/