I just want to note that start-up times should be able to be improve somewhat by optimizing #require_relative.

Also, by putting #require_relative in #initialize methods of classes that need library instead of at toplevel and speed improvement is likewise gained.

Nonetheless, I agree that autoload is nice feature and is unfortunate loss.

Feature #5653: "I strongly discourage the use of autoload in any standard libraries" (Re: autoload will be dead)

Author: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Assignee: nahi (Hiroshi Nakamura)
Category: lib
Target version: 2.0.0

 Hi,

 Today, I talked with NaHi about enhancing const_missing to enable
 autoload-like feature with nested modules.  But autoload itself has
 fundamental flaw under multi-thread environment.  I should have remove
 autoload when I added threads to the language (threads came a few
 months after autoload).

 So I hereby declare the future deprecation of autoload.  Ruby will
 keep autoload for a while, since 2.0 should keep compatibility to 1.9.
 But you don't expect it will survive further future, e.g. 3.0.

 I strongly discourage the use of autoload in any standard libraries.

 							matz.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/