cjheath (Clifford Heath) wrote:
> On 27/06/2012, at 4:35 PM, nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
>  > headius (Charles Nutter) wrote:
>  >> Finalizers in JRuby are stored on a reference from the object itself, so they don't actually prevent the object from collecting.
>  >
>  > You're missing the point.
>
>  Is he? Surely somewhere in that loop{finalized_puts []} the GC will activate,
>  and that will find collectable objects (with finalisers attached in JRuby). In
>  MRI, they might be found but they won't be finalised, if I understand the
>  behaviour right.

When a proc that touches an object is attatched to that object's finalizer, that finalizer can "escape" that object.

  ObjectSpace.define_finalizer(obj) { $escaped = obj } # Woo!

This would break the whole concept of finalizing.  Nobu's point is that how JRuby prevents this situation.
Bug #6614: GC doesn't collect objects bound to (collectable) proc