@marcandre

> There are many already in the discussion... A simple one:

So you are referring then the original #categorize method you proposed? That being so, I remain convinced it is far too complicated.

> I don't know of a single core method that behaves differently depending of the arity of the block.

Actually it might be able to work via a splat, no arity needed. Even so, I don't see how that's an issue, it's implementation detail and there's no good reason to require two different methods to do the same thing b/c of this. Besides, method definitions often handle variations in arity.

> Matz is not positive about `Array#to_h`.

Matz has accepted #to_h.

Looking at your implementation of #index_by, it needs some improvement, but that's just detail. The main thing is the merge functionality. Speaking of uncommon behavior, taking a lambda as an non-block argument is generally not considered a good approach. I think it is code smell, and typically means the method needs to be broken down into two method calls.

Feature #4151: Enumerable#categorize