On 23/06/2012, at 2:39 AM, David Albert wrote:
> Hello ruby-core,
>=20
> I've been using ruby as my primary language for two years now and I =
like it quite a lot. I'd like to start contributing back to it, but I =
don't know where to begin. Does anyone have any pointers as to where I =
can be helpful?

Don't bother. You can make all the contributions you want, but no-one =
even responds
when you try to discuss them, or even to offers advice on how to =
proceed.

That's my recent experience anyhow. I'm still hoping to be proved wrong.

Clifford Heath.

> A bit of background: I'm pretty comfortable with the ruby language, C =
api, and codebase. I've written a couple of small C extensions and have =
a cursory understanding of how the garbage collector works and how =
objects are stored. More recently, I've been spending some time learning =
about how YARV works (iseq generation, opcodes, method definition, =
FrozenCore, etc).
>=20
> I have been looking into https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5776, and =
I've made some progress. At some point between 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 the =
visibility of top level inner method definitions changed from private to =
public: https://gist.github.com/2973857. Because everything typed into =
irb is eval'd with the binding from inside the top level =
Object#irb_binding method (lib/irb/workspace.rb:51), all top level =
method definitions in irb have become public. I haven't learned enough =
yet to know why this change happened and if it was intended, but I =
imagine I can get there soon.
>=20
> Hopefully this is enough to help you understand the level I'm at. I'm =
happy to continue working on #5776 or contribute to something else. Any =
advice or direction would be wonderful.