Feature #6615: Release GVL in zlib when calling inflate() or deflate()

Author: drbrain (Eric Hodel)
Assignee:
Category: ext
Target version: 2.0.0

This patch switches from zstream_run from using rb_thread_schedule() to rb_thread_blocking_region().

I don't see a way to safely interrupt deflate() or inflate() so the unblocking function is empty.

This patch should allow use of output buffer sizes larger than 16KB.  I suspect 16KB was chosen to allow reasonable context-switching time for ruby 1.8 and earlier.  A larger buffer size would reduce GVL contention when processing large streams.

An alternate way to reduce GVL contention would be to move zstream_run's loop outside the GVL, but some manual allocation would be required as currently the loop uses a ruby String as the output buffer.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/