A similar problem exists for JRuby.

We have not split bigdecimal out into a gem, so anyone that wants to add the gem as a dependency will fail on JRuby. We may need to work with ruby-core to push a dummy "bigdecimal" gem so that such specs will work.
Bug #6124: What is the purpose of "fake" gems in Ruby

Author: vo.x (Vit Ondruch)
Assignee: drbrain (Eric Hodel)
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30) [x86_64-linux]

As I tried to point out in #6123, the "fake" gems which are distributed with Ruby breaks user's expectations. The following example should fail:

$ ruby --disable-gems -e "puts require('bigdecimal')"
true

However, it is not failing. Could you please enlighten me what is the purpose of fake gem then? Even if you install updated BigDecimal from rubygems.org, the bundled version will won unless you use "gem 'bidgecimal'" somewhere in the code. This makes no sense.

Don't take me wrong, I am big fan of gemified stdlib #5481, however this is not the way how it should be done.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/