Issue #6503 has been updated by davidbalbert (David Albert).

If nobody has claimed this yet, I'm happy to take a crack at it over the next couple of days. I know the guy who wrote the Python patch and have a decent understanding of what went into it. It should not be a tremendous amount of work (famous last words). If there aren't any objections, I'll send a first pass at a patch soon.
Feature #6503: Support for the NPN extension to TLS/SSL

Author: igrigorik (Ilya Grigorik)
Assignee: MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet)
Category:
Target version:

OpenSSL 1.0.1+ added support for Next Protocol Negotiation (NPN) extensions. A couple of relevant links:

- Google technical note: https://technotes.googlecode.com/git/nextprotoneg.html
- IETF draft: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-agl-tls-nextprotoneg-02

NPN allows the client to negotiate the session protocol as part of the TLS handshake (ex, "http 1.1", or "spdy/v{1,2,3}"). To support SPDY we need NPN support within OpenSSL core in Ruby. The API is already implemented in OpenSSL 1.0.1+, so it's a matter of adding support in Ruby core.

Sister bug for Python 3.3: http://bugs.python.org/issue14204

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/