On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:18:53 +0900, Vincent Isambart
<vincent.isambart / gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>> I don't think it's as big an issue on Unix-based operating
>> systems except perhaps MacOS, because most other Unix OSes can't
>> handle wide character filenames and will therefore encode most
>> international filenames as UTF-8, if the environment setting is
>> correct.
> MacOS X uses filenames encoded in UTF-8, AFAIK. (GUI: UTF-16,
> filesystem: UTF-8). The only difference may be in the
> normalization form used (I think I saw something about it in
> glib).

According to what I've read, that is dependent upon the filesystem
used, and OS X may transparently expose filenames as UTF-8 for older
programs. Can anyone confirm this?

HFS+ actually stores filenames as UCS-2 (just like NTFS and FAT32),
but in a slightly different form than Win32. MacOS X uses decomposed
characters (e.g., e + combining accent acute ==  whereas Win32
simply uses precomposed characters (e.g., .

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com
               * Alternate: austin / halostatue.ca