Issue #6493 has been updated by MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet).

Status changed from Assigned to Feedback
Priority changed from Normal to Low

RFC 3280 was obsoleted by 5280 and there, the wording is slightly different:

8<--------

4.2.1.6.  Subject Alternative Name

The subject alternative name extension allows identities to be bound
to the subject of the certificate.  These identities may be included
in addition to or in place of the identity in the subject field of
the certificate.

>8--------

But I think we should orient ourselves at RFC 6125 [1], which
explicitly addresses how to do hostname verification for TLS services.

There, it says:

8<------

6.4.4.  Checking of Common Names

As noted, a client MUST NOT seek a match for a reference identifier
of CN-ID if the presented identifiers include a DNS-ID, SRV-ID,
URI-ID, or any application-specific identifier types supported by the
client.

>8------

Therefore current behavior is in line with this and correct in doing so.
But what's missing is verification of the service type parts and
interpretation of the otherName attributes of type srvName (RFC4985), I
could imagine adding support in the future, especially if CAs start to
follow these recommendations.

But I'll mark this as low prio for now if nobody objects.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6125
Bug #6493: OpenSSL::SSL ignores DN if subjectAltName is specified