Issue #2348 has been updated by jvoorhis (Jeremy Voorhis).

I think that Ruby developers would definitely benefit from having a range of well-implemented data structures within reach. I don't understand why the implementation-revealing name is an issue when our most common options are already named Array [contiguous chunk of memory] and Hash[-table]. Renaming this library's classes to something SortedMap and SortedMultiMap seems incongruous.
Feature #2348: RBTree Should be Added to the Standard Library

Author: JEG2 (James Gray)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: lib
Target version: 2.0.0

=begin
 The merits of this library have been discussed on Ruby core, with the strengths best summarized by this post:

 http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/26602

 RBTree has now been fixed to run on Ruby 1.9:

 http://github.com/skade/rbtree

 I think we should now give serious consideration to bringing it into the standard library.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/