Quoting drbrain / segment7.net, on Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 08:58:08AM +0900:
> The original poster wants some way of only printing the bits they want
> without printing things they don't (like a multi-KB String).

They want a way to override how irb displays stuff.

It currently uses #inspect, they wanted #to_yaml or something else, I
suggested that irb be modified to use #to_irb, which will default back
down to #inspect if #to_irb is not defined.

Then people can implement #to_irb globally in some way (specific example
is my #to_pp), or perhaps on a class-by-class basis.

Cheers,
Sam