Issue #6418 has been updated by luislavena (Luis Lavena).

vo.x (Vit Ondruch) wrote:
> Seems like case for extension gem. But we'd been there already and it was failure. Not sure why this should be reintroduced and even directly into the Ruby. Let's keep focus on correct Ruby functionality and ANSI escape characters leave to terminals.

There is no single terminal on Windows that properly captures ANSI codes from executing programs. Terminal emulations like mintty do not work properly when mixing file descriptor between native Windows and posix-emulated ones (msys/cygwin)

External tools like ANSICON while solved the coloring issue introduced other issues, like hooking up Command Processor AutoRun which resulted in failure to spawn child processes or commands that dependent on cmd.exe

There is no easy way to provide this as an extension since the particular function that provides this is an internal part of Ruby replacement of IO management on Windows.

While working with RubyInstaller I've received several complains about these issues, the old win32console issues too and from time to time comparison with Node JS out-of-the-box ANSI coloring in the default terminal (cmd.exe)

I haven't had the time to analyze the impact (e.g. performance) on this, but based on previous experience with external tools and gems, I do think the impact on having this out-of-the-box is valuable.

In relation to "focus on correct Ruby functionality" I've worked on a rewrite of File.expand_path and the internal counterpart that cut Ruby startup time half the current versions.

Does that qualifies for correct Ruby functionality?

Thank you.

Feature #6418: Supporing a subset of ANSI escape code on Windows