Issue #6361 has been updated by MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet).

kernigh (George Koehler) wrote:
> =begin
> With this design, String#& and String#~ never modify the original string. This design forgot that Strings are mutable. String#& must allocate a new string, before String#[]= modifies the original string. A better design might provide destructive methods that use bitwise operations to modify a slice of the original string.
> =end

Good point, I like the idea of having an alternative destructive version, should boost performance a lot.
I think you actually need both because the "secure" version, ByteString::Immutable, *needs* to be immutable.
But in the general case both versions have their use. I'll add it to the proposal.

Feature #6361: Bitwise string operations