Hi,

(2012/05/02 11:38), Aaron Patterson wrote:
> DTrace allows us to specify the stability of the probes.  I've
> declared the provider name of "ruby" to be stable.

I agree.

> We don't declare any modules or functions, so I've declared them as
> stable.

I'm not sure about it.  You mean that we'll declare "there are no
modules or functions" ?

> The probes (e.g. function-entry), as well as the type and number of
> arguments to the probes are declared as unstable, so users are
> advised not to depend on them.

I agree.  Or declare specification as "Ruby 2.0.0" (specific
implementation) and make warning that "there are possibilities of
changing probes after Ruby 2.0.1 or later".

> You can find the stability declarations here:
>
> https://github.com/tenderlove/ruby/blob/probes/probes.d#L26-30

Thanks.

I have a question:  We have lazy sweep which run many short scattered
sweep process.  Should we measure such a thing?

> I think declaring them unstable is the best conservative approach.
> If we find them to be good over the long term, we can change the
> stability declaration in later releases of Ruby.

I agree.

Thanks,
Koichi

--