Issue #6373 has been updated by alexeymuranov (Alexey Muranov).

Thomas, i think an argument against public #self is that 'self' is a reserved word, which moreover is used more as an object name than as a method name.  So 'self' would need to stop being a keyword and become a public 'predefined' method of BasicObject (it cannot be defined without the 'self' keyword, i guess).

I like #itself or #yourself, but i do not know which one is a proper way to talk to my objects.
Feature #6373: public #self

Author: trans (Thomas Sawyer)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0

=begin
This was recently suggested to me as an extension:

  class Object
    # An identity method that provides access to an object's 'self'.
    #
    # Example:
    #   [1,2,3,4,5,1,2,2,3].group_by(&:identity)
    #
    def identity
      self

First, is such a method commonly useful enough to warrant existence?

Second, it makes me wonder if #self should be a public method in general.
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/