Because of the nature of the problem.  It is sensitive to the makeup of the
various modules required.  Changing the text of the program even slightly
can cause the problem to disappear for the time being.  Upgrading to 1.9
involves changes to the standard library which alters the makeup of
program.   Even if the initial port of the software to 1.9 did not exhibit
the problem I could not conclude that it would not reappear at a later date
as a result of changes to the program.

I was hoping that you could query a bug database to see if this had been
addressed.  Again, someone has reported the same problem with 1.9.x.

Ron