Wrote "Berger, Daniel" <Daniel.Berger / qwest.com>, on Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 01:04:25AM +0900:
> > > Right.  It is unnecessary check.  Thank you.
> >
> > Maybe a good idea nonetheless. It might catch a bug someday. Nothing
> > *guarantees* that argc is nonnegative, not even for main().

If you don't trust your runtime, nothing is guaranteed... and you are
on a slippery slope to insanity.

> I'll pledge $100 to RubyCentral immediately if someone can actually
> demonstrate how this might occur.

On the other hand, for $100 I could use a custom version of crt1.o (the
code that calls _main), and pass in -1 as argc...

> And no, assigning a negative value to argc directly doesn't count. :-P

Would that count? ;-)

Cheers,
Sam

--