Description updated

Feature #6365: [Feature request] Better readable syntax to check if String is included in Array

Author: jhilden (Jakob Hilden)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category:
Target version:

=begin
I find myself constantly wanting to check whether one string is included within an array of strings.
It is certainly possible (and also fast) to do that in Ruby with something like this: (({["foo", "bar"].include?("foo")}))
But I don't think it reads very nice :(
Because what I actually want to test is, whether my string is included in the array and NOT the other way around.

What do you think about something like the following two solutions?

  class String
    # create a new method
    def included_in?(array)
      array.include?(self)
    end

    # -- OR --

    # change the current String#include? method
    def include?(parameter)
      if parameter.is_a? Array
        parameter.include?(self)
      else
        super

I know it's just a minor code vanity issue, but since it's one of Ruby's main features, I wanted to bring it up.

The (pseudo) code can also be found here:  ((<"https://gist.github.com/1181246"|URL:https://gist.github.com/1181246>))
=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/