+1 from me...

There are many cases where high-perf treatment of a homogeneous array would be useful in Ruby, as evidenced by libraries like NArray and friends. NArray has been proposed for inclusion in Ruby in the past, but I don't know why it never was.

Providing a few bitwise operations on String that operate against the raw bytes would fulfill one of the most common use cases, that of a byte[] and symmetric manipulations of all elements.
Feature #6361: Bitwise string operations

Author: MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version:

I know this has been discussed a lot in the past (and if there's still
an open issue for this, I apologize, I couldn't find one), for example
in [1]. While it is generally no problem to implement this on the fly,
I still find that built-in support would be a real improvement. There
are quite some use cases in cryptography where this would come in very
handy, but I'm sure there are lots of other areas, too.

While of course I understand the reasons that were given in the previous
threads that ultimately lead to rejection, I still would like to reopen
the discussion as I felt that in every thread so far the consensus was
that having bitwise string operations would indeed be quite valuable.

[1] http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-core/34586

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/