Issue #6358 has been updated by stevegoobermanhill (stephen gooberman-hill).

Hi Yusuke-san,
I'm not sure that I will be able to create a patch - you can blame Matz :-) If he hadn't written such a brilliant language I would still be competent in C. :-) As it is, while I can still competently read and understand C code, I don't think I have written any since about 2003.

Thinking about the problem a bit, my suspicion is that somewhere (either in ruby, or the pthreads library, or in the interaction between them), a thread is being reused before it is properly torn down, and this is causing the problem. A gross simplification of the code (which I have yet to try  and use to reproduce the bug) is

timeout=0.01 #this is the critical value
while true
   Thread.new do
      Thread.new { sleep(timeout) }

My reasoning is that the bug may be quite deep as it generally exits without giving any backtrace, and is very dependent on the critical value. I don't know about the deep design of the ruby code or the pthreads library, but I am wondering whether it is possible that the there is a timer used to give the system time to tidy up before a thread is reused, and that this timer simply times out too quickly for the platform.

Are you aware of any similar problem on a slower (embedded) platform? It may be a problem that is specific to arm-linux, or to the ulibc pthreads library, or one that only turns up on slow processors.

In the mean time, I will see if I can produce a simple test case which demonstrates the problem. That would be a start.

FYI, I am putting a significant number of embedded arm-linux devices into the field this year (on the Techbase NPE series GPRS modem / industrial computer). I would be happy to continue to contribute bug reports - I have ruby 1.8.7 working happily on this device, but 1.9 is a little more challenging at the moment. Anything that I can contribute, I will do so.

Kind regards,

Steve

Bug #6358: arm-linux : sleep() time dependent threading bug