Okay, a better name for this method is probably in order. If anyone can think of one?

@bitsweet I understand what your saying, but I'm not advocating for an implementation of rsync or anything close to it. It's just local fs method that should do little more than `install` present files and `rm` non-present files. The only option other then `verbose` and `noop` that it might support that I can think of is `force`.

Feature #6337: FileUtils#sync

Author: trans (Thomas Sawyer)
Assignee: matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto)
Category: lib
Target version: 1.9.3

=begin
I'd like to see some sort of FileUtils#sync method to sync the contents of one directory with another.

Here is a prototype definition:

    #
    # Synchronize a destination directory with a source directory.
    #
    def sync(src, dst, options={})
      src_files = Dir[File.join(src, '**', '*')].map{ |f| f.sub(src+'/', '') }
      dst_files = Dir[File.join(dst, '**', '*')].map{ |f| f.sub(dst+'/', '') }

      removal = dst_files - src_files

      rm_dirs, rm_files = [], []
      removal.each do |f|
        path = File.join(dst, f)
        if File.directory?(path)
          rm_dirs << path
        else
          rm_files << path

      rm_files.each { |f| rm(f) }
      rm_dirs.each  { |d| rmdir(d) }

      src_files.each do |f|
        src_path = File.join(src, f)
        dst_path = File.join(dst, f)
        if File.directory?(src_path)
          mkdir_p(dst_path)
        else
          parent = File.dirname(dst_path)
          mkdir_p(parent) unless File.directory?(parent)
          install(src_path, dst_path)

I haven't tested this beyond a simple trial. It needs improvement. For one, it probably should be able to handle regular files as arguments too. It also needs to handle verbose and dryrun options properly. Nonetheless, with improvements, would be okay for such to become new feature for FileUtils?

=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/