Issue #6337 has been reported by trans (Thomas Sawyer).

Feature #6337: FileUtils#sync
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6337

Author: trans (Thomas Sawyer)
Assignee:
Category: lib
Target version: 1.9.3

=begin
I'd like to see some sort of FileUtils#sync method to sync the contents of one directory with another.

Here is a prototype definition:

    #
    # Synchronize a destination directory with a source directory.
    #
    def sync(src, dst, options={})
      src_files = Dir[File.join(src, '**', '*')].map{ |f| f.sub(src+'/', '') }
      dst_files = Dir[File.join(dst, '**', '*')].map{ |f| f.sub(dst+'/', '') }

      removal = dst_files - src_files

      rm_dirs, rm_files = [], []
      removal.each do |f|
        path = File.join(dst, f)
        if File.directory?(path)
          rm_dirs << path
        else
          rm_files << path

      rm_files.each { |f| rm(f) }
      rm_dirs.each  { |d| rmdir(d) }

      src_files.each do |f|
        src_path = File.join(src, f)
        dst_path = File.join(dst, f)
        if File.directory?(src_path)
          mkdir_p(dst_path)
        else
          parent = File.dirname(dst_path)
          mkdir_p(parent) unless File.directory?(parent)
          install(src_path, dst_path)

I haven't tested this beyond a simple trial. It needs improvement. For one, it probably should be able to handle regular files as arguments too. It also needs to handle verbose and dryrun options properly. Nonetheless, with improvements, would be okay for such to become new feature for FileUtils?

=end

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/