Issue #6315 has been updated by ankopainting (Anko Painting).

ko1 (Koichi Sasada) wrote:
> (2012/04/20 19:24), ankopainting (Anko Painting) wrote:
>  > I understand your concern.  I think power > speed.  In ruby this feature is impossible currently.
>  >
>  > please watch http://vimeo.com/40281991.  It is 5 minutes but shows the power of such features.
>
>  I agree with "power > speed".  However, I'm not sure how power grows
>  with this feature.  I'm sorry I can't see your suggested video (because
>  I'm at outside).  Could you write the power?
>
>  Or any other comments from other guys?
>
>  --
>  // SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net

Maybe you can see the version on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H58-n7uldoU  I am outside too.

Basically it's an IDE that evaluates your whole code when you press a key and shows the return values next to each line.

It is hard to write about but here is an ascii representation of an IDE

a = 3                   => 3
(0..3).each do |i|
  if i == 1
    a = 5               =>    | 5 |
  else
    a = i                =>  0 |   | 2 | 3

as you can see, the advantage that this has over irb is that you can see as values change over time in loops instantly, without stepping through them.  You could see how changing one thing would ripple through your code.

Feature #6315: handler to trace output of each line of code executed