Issue #6286 has been updated by vo.x (Vit Ondruch).

Would it be possible to make the #format method public? And if I may be a bit daring, some documentation would be nice. I appreciate your effort. Thank you.
Bug #6286: Add Exception#format method

Author: vo.x (Vit Ondruch)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version: 2.0.0
ruby -v: -

It would be nice if Exception class could be extended by #format method (or method with some more suitable name), which would provide the same formatting as is standard output of Ruby exception, e.g.

boomtest.rb:18:in `go': boom (RuntimeError)
  from boomtest.rb:34:in `foo'
  from boomtest.rb:36

Currently, this formatting is done by error_print function from eval_error.c. Unfortunately this method is just Ruby's internal.

Please note that there exists exception_string gem, which add similar method [1] to the Exception class.

[1] https://github.com/raggi/exception_string/blob/master/lib/exception_string.rb#L15-19

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/