Issue #5008 has been updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune).

Status changed from Rejected to Open

Hi,

matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto) wrote:
> #to_hash protocol expects the object to be hash-compatible.  Struct is not the case.

I'm reopening this issue, as the request is not for `#to_hash` but for `#to_h`.

I believe you are positive for `Hash#to_h`, `Struct#to_h` and `OpenStruct#to_h`. [ruby-core:43363]

You are hesitant about `NilClass#to_h`, and we were wondering why. I think the translation from nil to {} would be consistent with the transitions to the other basic types, like nil.to_s, nil.to_i, nil.to_f, nil.to_c, nil.to_r. It's the only one missing!
Feature #5008: Equal rights for Hash (like Array, String, Integer, Float)