Issue #5455 has been updated by nahi (Hiroshi Nakamura).

Assignee deleted (matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto))
Target version set to 3.0

Thanks for the swift response!

> I don't know why you are so eager to remove it.  It's not part of "the
> spec".  It's CRuby's implementation dependent feature.  Why bother?

Though you might be thinking I'm on a JRuby side now, my concern is not on "the spec".  The reason why I want to remove $SAFE from CRuby (not the spec) is that it's hard to implement properly.  CRuby applications that depends on $SAFE should check if all possible third-party C extensions honor $SAFE.

Shugo said that it should be removed from "2.0" first at [ruby-dev:44554].

That said, I agree that Endoh-san want to postpone this to 3.0 now. I'll revert my "Target version" change.  But feel free to discuss about this now :)
Feature #5455: $SAFE should be removed