Issue #5779 has been updated by shugo (Shugo Maeda).

Status changed from Assigned to Rejected

shevegen (markus heiler) wrote:
> When you have a local file on your HDD, you can do this:
>
>   File.directory? '/tmp' # => true
>   File.file? '/etc/ld.so.conf' # => true
>
> I propose something like that to be added to the Ruby-FTP library too.
>
> So that a user can find out whether something is a file or a directory,
> without the need to download it, or parse the .list output manually.

RFC959 says that output of the LIST command is not designed to be machine readable:

            Since the information on a file may vary widely from system
            to system, this information may be hard to use automatically
            in a program, but may be quite useful to a human user.

The format is not specified in RFC959, and is platform-dependent.
I know that some programs such as wget parse output of the LIST command in a heuristic way, but I wouldn't like to implement it as a feature of Net::FTP.

Feature #5779: Ruby-FTP - allow easy way to find out whether a remote target is a file or a directory

When you have a local file on your HDD, you can do this:

  File.directory? '/tmp' # => true
  File.file? '/etc/ld.so.conf' # => true

I propose something like that to be added to the Ruby-FTP library too.

So that a user can find out whether something is a file or a directory,
without the need to download it, or parse the .list output manually.

This is mostly for convenience.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/