Issue #6219 has been updated by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
> And, what should be returned if the key wasn't set?

Its default value?

h = Hash.new {[]}
h.store('key', [1, 2]) # => []
Feature #6219: Return value of Hash#store

Author: MartinBosslet (Martin Bosslet)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version:

Hash#store returns the value that was just assigned, for example:

  h[:a] = b # => b

Does anyone rely on this behavior, are there cases when this becomes handy?

If however the return value is discarded most of the time, I was thinking it
might be beneficial if we would return the previous value of a given key (nil if
none was assigned yet) instead. That way we could assign and check for a collision
in one pass, something that right now can only be done in two separate steps.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/