Issue #6222 has been updated by rosenfeld (Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas).

This seems like a workaround for me. But one that I don't like because Ruby will have to keep supporting this even if/after 'then' is accepted.

The problem is that while I find "then" readable to me, I don't think '++' is obvious to someone reading such statements. Specially when i++ has already a very known behavior in most other languages...
Feature #6222: Use ++ to connect statements

Author: gcao (Guoliang Cao)
Assignee:
Category: core
Target version:

I propose to use ++ to connect two or multiple statements, e.g.

do_this ++ do_that ++ do_something

It is equivalent to (do_this; do_that; do_something) but more readable.

It can be used to replace below idiom

do_something and return if condition

with

do_something ++ return if condition

The current way is very error prone because do_something might return false/nil in some cases and cause problems. And new Ruby programmers might not understand the meaning behind this idiom and mimic it blindly.

I noticed someone proposed 'then' for same purpose (See http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/6201) but is postponed to 3.0 because it is already a keyword. I like 'then' too but if it is not acceptable due to backward compatibility issue, then '++' is a good alternative.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/