Feature #5106: Is MurmurHash overkill?

Author: kstephens (Kurt  Stephens)
Assignee: mame (Yusuke Endoh)
Category:
Target version:

st.c implements MurmurHash to compute hash table indexes (#hash).

Simpler hash functions may be appropriate for hash tables, esp. small tables.

Is there a particular reason this hash function was chosen?  Is MurmurHash typically used for check-summing purposes?

Anybody positively adverse to changing it?  If so I won't bother.  Otherwise I might take a crack at it.

-- KAS

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/