Well, Ruby does not provide way to get root of app/lib, and current working directory is not always root of applicable app/lib, so that's not always helpful way.

Sometimes practical choice outweighs theoretical ideal. `File.dirname(__FILE__)` is exhaustively used idiom.

Consider another use case:

  myapp/
    lib/
      myapp/
        template.rb
        templates/
          foo.erb
          bar.erb

In `template.rb` there will be something like:

  def read_template(name)
    file = File.dirname(__FILE__) + "/templates/#{name}.rb"
    raise "no such template -- #{name}" unless File.exist?(file)
    File.read(file)

Feature #3346: __DIR__ revisted