Issue #4897 has been updated by duerst (Martin Dürst).

We have discussed this at today's developers' meeting in Akihabara.

We highly doubt that there are many mathematicians, physicists, engineers, and so on, who use ??. Once ?? is widely accepted in these communities, we might add it.
Feature #4897: Define Math::TAU and BigMath.TAU. The "true" circle constant, Tau=2*Pi. See http://tauday.com/

Author: sbaird (Simon Baird)
Assignee:
Category: Joke
Target version: 2.0.0

Firstly please read the Tau Manifesto at http://tauday.com/ . It's quite long but essential to understanding why this is a good idea.

Here is a patch on trunk that implements this:
http://simonbaird.blogspot.com/2011/06/tau-in-ruby.html

Allow me to anticipate and respond in advance to some common objections:

1. It's easy to define it yourself so why put this in core.
Possibly correct, but I think this is the right thing to do. Tau is important. And it's a pretty small patch.

2. If this constant goes in then pretty soon someone will want every other math constant and there are hundreds of them. (Slippery slope argument).
The circle constant is one of the two most important numbers is mathematics. It's not just another math constant. We already define Pi.

--
http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/